Thursday, January 17, 2008

The Odd Couple


Felix Unger and Oscar Madison have nothing on my two oldest children. If I didn't know otherwise, I would swear that Madeline and Spencer couldn't have come from the same DNA. Perhaps a couple small incidents, which occurred within minutes of each other on the same Sunday morning a few weeks ago, capture it best: Just before we left for church, I was standing in the bathroom as Spencer came down the hall. He couldn't see me and didn't know I was there. As he dilly dally'd down the hall (still without his shoes or coat on as the rest of the family is ready to go) I hear him singing to himself, "I love my dad more than my butt." Fast forward 20 minutes to the parking lot at church: As Maddie jumps out of the van, she notices that someone has left a lighter laying in the gravel and immediately blurts out, "Oh, like that's not a safety issue!" A couple weeks later, I rented Mr. Bean's Vacation for the kids. When I asked the kids if they liked it, Spencer's exact words were, "It was SOOO hilarious!" Maddie: "It really wasn't that funny dad." With Miss Sophia in the mix, it is quite possible that no three kids from the same family are more different than our trio. I think it's the hardest and best thing about getting to be their dad. I can honestly say that as much as they drive each other crazy, they wouldn't know what to do without each other.

1 comment:

The Pfeiffer Family said...

I can picture these scenes playing out....TOO FUNNY. I am not quite sure how to comment on Spencer's song though....WOW that had to be a proud moment... The picture of the odd couple brought back memories of watching them when we were kids.

God truly creates every child diffently :-) Tell my nieces and nephew Auntie April loves them and misses them.