Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A nice low-tech Sunday with my boy

A couple Sundays ago after church the girls were doing art projects in the office upstairs where Tina was working on the computer. I went downstairs to see what Spencer was doing, half expecting to find him playing PS2 in the family room. I was pleasantly surprised to see him in HIS room, writing and drawing in his journal... to candle light! [NO, Spencer wasn't playing with matches! Tina had lit candles in the kids rooms after church] I asked him why he didn't have his overhead light on and he said he didn't need it. I asked him why he wasn't using his lamp and he told me the bulb was blown out. Spencie and I ended up having a great, low-tech afternoon together. He showed me what he'd been doing in his journal, we played best 3 out of 5 at darts and then played Sorry (Now that's a classic board game, and I almost had Spencer convinced that they were called board games because kids played them when they were bored, but he wised up) It was a blast. I've been endeavoring to do more and more things with the kids that don't involve the laptop, TV or PS2. I think I'm gonna try to coax the kids into trying snow shoeing with me so we don't have to wait until Spring/Summer to hike and climb.

2 comments:

Conner said...

by candle light... Spence cracks me up. And I'm also glad to see that Sophs got over the big rice switch!

Michael McMullen said...

That sounds like fun. And how very monastic of the boy, journaling by candle light. Was he wearing a hooded robe as well?