Tuesday, November 27, 2007

City League Fall Ball

Tina and I played Fall softball this year with a bunch of friends from Jacob's Well. It was a perfect league for us because we only played one day a week and, with double headers on Sunday evenings, we got 10 games in 5 weeks. We purposely played in a city league and not a church league. For anyone who's ever played in the latter, you know why. If not, I submit the opening verse to comedian Tim Wilson's song, 'Church League Softball Fistfight":

Church League Softball Fistfight
Gettin' washed in the blood on a Tuesday night
What would Jesus do? Lord he wouldn't do that
Knock the hell out of a preacher with a softball bat

We had a blast and met some cool people from other teams. Some of us came out of softball retirement to play and we coaxed others to join us who had never played before. It was a good mix and a chance to hang out with some people from church that we didn't know as well. We even made it to the semifinals in the season ending tournament. We'll definitely do this again next year. I forgot how much I missed competing on a team. It was also cool to see my wife bust out her cannon arm! In the picture below of Tina hucking it from the outfield, we threw a guy out at home on a relay from Tina to me to Spencer Koonz. (who cares that my throw was to the first base side of home and allowed the runner to slide under Spence's tag. The ump called him out and that's what the scorebook shows baby!) Thanks to Doug & Dona Bryant at The Decal Factory for sponsoring our team and a special thanks to Mike McMullen for all the pictures used below. (between this and the Pony League season for Spencer and Logan, I'm gonna make a sports fan out of you yet McMullen)
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Michael McMullen said...

You've already got me skimming through Sports Illustrated. I look at the pictures though, I swear.