Wednesday, May 27, 2009

EARTH MOVING!

Well I must say that I owe my husband big time!! He moved pounds and pounds of dirt this weekend. Mostly all while I slept since it was my weekend on shift at the hospital. Each day I awoke to more beds moved or prepped for just enough time for me to help plant and then make dinner, spend a little time with friends in the evening and then back to work. He endured much heat and a little sunburn. Thanks baby! We moved Spencer's strawberry plants that he planted 2 years ago in a little garden bed below our deck. They were getting pretty big and sprawling and unfortunately the previous home had a layer of bark dust which brought the ants into the picture and they ate most of his harvest last year. So, Dan built this cute little raised bed (after tearing out shrubs and Iris tubers) with some old blocks we found under our deck. And of course no strawberries are safe without the Gnome watching over.
This is the bed where he had the strawberries and Dan moved dirt in and planted two little azaleas that we bought on clearance for $4.00 and then a lilac bush we picked up at Costco.
This year we did something a little different with our vegetable garden. We decided to make wide paths and mound up the dirt, similar to raised beds. We will put newspapers and grass clippings over the pathways to hold moisture and keep weeds at bay in those areas.

This is for my mom---here is the hydrangea regrowing this year...he may be tiny but he survived!! Behind are the seeds we planted last year, Columbine and Jacobs Ladder.
AND MOM...here is that bush you love so much! The Bleeding Heart came back with a vengence! I swear it is the most thriving plant I have and it is only because I dread it so much! This last year I think I cut it almost below ground level in the fall. It hates me!

No comments: